Tech while camping
There’s a common debate among caravanners and campers today – whether technology like laptops, tablets and the internet have a place with us on our travels.
The first camp reckons that this technology has no place on holiday. A lot of locations now promote themselves as tech-free, offering a bit of a “detox” from smartphones and social media.
Those who like to tough it outdoors agree – technological advances in camping equipment might be ok, but the point of a holiday is to get away from it all.
The other side argues that smartphones, apps and even social media can improve the camping/caravanning experience. They might be on to something.
Here are a few things modern tech can help you with on your travels:
• Looking up local attractions and open hours.
• Finding the nearest supermarket, doctor or petrol station.
• Identifying an animal, a bite or a sting. Whether you’re bird watching or there’s a creepy-crawly lurking about, sometimes it’s better to know what you’re dealing with.
• Recipes: if you’re stuck for cooking inspiration, you can have literally 1000’s of recipes in the palm of your hand.
• Staying connected with your family. There are plenty of apps that can track your movements and send updates to family and friends. Otherwise, “checking-in” on Facebook is an easy way to let them know you’ve made it to where you’re going. Having people know where you were last is good in an emergency, too.
• Looking up the weather.
• Entertainment that doesn’t take up space. Like to have a read before bed or listen to music during the drive? A smartphone, iPod or tablet loaded with books and music is a worthwhile thing to have – just remember to pack the charger!
• Education. There are some great apps that can enhance your experience while travelling. Consider the Great Ocean Road, Victoria: there’s an app for the walk in this area that provides accompanying audio commentary and stories for further information and education.
• Keeping kids entertained! If you’ve got little ones on board, you’ll know how important it is to keep them occupied during those long drives. A tablet loaded up with games, apps or movies is a great way to keep them entertained - and maybe even keep them from turning on each other!
No matter how convenient the tech is though, remember to put the phone down and enjoy the view once in a while.